Although the thermometer is dipping low in much of the country, dreams of the endless summer continues. Snow outside means making plans for a trip to the lake when the heat index increases. Holiday time with friends and family means checking dates on the calendar to head to camp. And what does heading to camp mean? What’s for dinner? A weekend away seeks easy, delicious dishes, that require little clean-up. Even a full week of holiday will do well with some simple and easy dinner fare after a long day at the lake or exploring.
From our friends at Desert Now Dinner Later we bring you Southwestern Chicken Packets. These simple to prep and easy to cook and the individual packet options allows for different taste preferences. Try them out in your oven this winter and I bet you’ll be bringing them along to camp next year!
Southwestern Chicken Packets
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken tenders
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- cilantro, to garnish
- sour cream, optional
- avocado, mashed, optional
- Pull off 4 sheets of heavy-duty tin foil (8-10 inches) and layer to create 2 packets. Lightly mist with cooking spray.
- Stir together the corn, black beans, and taco seasoning. Divide between the 2 foil packets. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Place 1 chicken breast or 2 chicken tenders in each packet. Top the chicken with salsa and shredded cheese.
- Bring the two longer edges of the foil together above the food. Fold the edges down twice, creating the top seal. Press the side edges together and fold, creating a secure packet.
- Cook on hot coals, a gas grill, or in a 375 degree oven for 30 to 45 minutes until chicken is cooked through. (*See notes for cooking with coals or a grill.)
- Top with fresh cilantro, sour cream, and avocado before serving.
*If cooking on COALS make sure to carefully turn the packet 2 or 3 times to prevent burning.
**If cooking on a GRILL make sure to carefully turn the packet once, about halfway through the cook time to ensure even cooking.
This tasty meal just needs a side of rice and you’re set. Make sure to let us know what you think!